Monday, May 21, 2007

Mother's Day Baking





Hey everyone! I did a lot of baking for the Mother's Day party that we had at my parent's house. I made:
-a red velvet cake
-swedish profiteroles (filled with creme mousseline)
-mini lime tarts (1,2,3 dough filled with a layer of lime curd and then a rosette of
lime whipped cream)
-mini chocolate tarts filled with espresso chocolate chip ice cream
-a lemon-strawbery trifle (lemon pound cake layered with lemon curd, lemon whipped
cream and roasted strawberries

I am including pictures. Since I worked the Friday and Saturday before Mother's Day, I was up all night baking! I actually saw the sun rise. It was great. Don't worry, I am getting much more sleep now.

I got a part time job doing cakes at Noe Valley Bakery. I start tomorrow, so I'll let you all know how it goes.

Z, Becky, and I volunteered this weekend to help set up for Bread Camp. It seems like it is going to be a cool event full of workshops and tours. It was at the San Francisco Baking Institute. Z and I saw them making some awesome centerpieces out of bread. There were mini everything...mini baguettes, bagels, loaves, etc, that they were assembling with rings of bread stacked on top of one another. We also saw some of the guys from the Coup de Monde team. On Friday we assembled binders for all the guests with the help of Chef Mike who is hilarious. He was trying to speed up the process by making "kits" of papers to put in the binders. Z and I went to the opening food/wine party at Boudin Bakery where there were loaves of bread shaped like crabs and lobsters. At Boudin Bakery there was a HUGE calculator and we thought of you, Patricia. You must be a true baker because apparently all bakers use huge calculators.

I miss you guys!

2 comments:

Z said...

All of them looks beautiful Megan. And good luck with Noe valley bakery!!!!!!! Guys looks like I am taking off this monday or tuesday... I miss you already!

patricia said...

Hi Megan, your baked good look beautiful. COngrats on your new job (Noe). I would love to hear about it. I hope we could meet for lunch soon.

Patricia